Friday night was Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra with opening by Rosin Coven. I knew I was in for something unusual based on the attire of those showing up for the concert, looked like extras from set of Sweeney Todd. Black leather, lace, bustiers, colored hair, ... I was getting a bit nervous but kept telling myself, this is Lincoln Center, how edgy could it get?
The answer is PRETTY EDGY! If I had known what I was getting into I probably would have chickened out, and that would have been a shame. By the time Amanda came out, I had made my way to front of crowd -- in the standing room only area right below the stage. I was just trying to get a good look. The band came out first -- base player in tuxedo, lead guitar in cutoffs, black Patten leather go go boots and maybe tights?, and the drummer was pratically naked -- short shorts that I think might have been velvet. Amanda wore a black lace bra, long black skirt and a bustier.
| Amanda describes her style of music as a cross between Punk and Cabaret. |
The drummer from The Dresden Dolls made a surprise appearance and they performed Miss Me together.
Click here to see that whole song recorded that night from someone in crowd. The recording doesn't do it justice -- it was jaw-dropping from the standing room only bull pit! But still worthy of a view here.
Lastly, check this out. Since when did musicians become so controversial? Whether you love her or hate her (and apparently there is no in-between), she puts it all out there*.
*In one concert, she stripped naked and asked concert goers to write all over her body. They obliged.
No comments:
Post a Comment