Sunday, April 14, 2013
Not in Kansas anymore
Excited to take advantage of being here, I registered for this event where an ex-JPMC female executive was scheduled to speak. They are one of my customers, I suspected it would be interesting --
Power Talk: A Conversation with retired Chief Investment Officer, Ina Drew, and Barnard President Debora Spar
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
New York, NY
It was a quick subway trip to Columbia Univ but when I got to the building and had to make a decision on which direction to go to find front door, I picked the long way of course. I ran into a very nice lady going to same event, we chit-chatted on way in, discovered we were both math majors, blah blah blah.
Quite a few people showed up, I enjoyed the talk much more than I was expecting. Lots of photos were taken, and one question from audience that raised my eyebrow .. "knowing how things have turned out, would you have done anything different? Drew answered by saying she wasn't going to talk about that .. the sessions with congress were well documented and in public domain. She planned to take couple of years, give it some perspective, before she would discuss again. I am not completely oblivious to the problems JPMC suffered this past year regarding the trading loss, the London whale, etc., but I did not know the players by name and did not suspect that Ina Drew was the executive in charge, resigning as result. Yikes.
The next day I googled thinking I might find an article (given all those pictures) and instead found this -- mathbabe
The 'babe' was the lady I met walking in .. she tweeted all evening from the event. We didn't sit next to each other so not surprising I didn't know. I was shocked reading her opinion and scathing attack (although don't necessarily disagree, withholding judgment). Right now, I think I am in the camp recognizing her job was all about risk, bad calls were made and she suffered the consequences. Prior to that, she had a stellar 30 year run and deserves respect. Monty is in babe's camp. What I learned from this is I need to pay closer attention to what is happening around me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment