Sunday, April 28, 2013

Which war?

I live in a pre-war building.  The first time that came up, I said "which war are we talking about?"  Long term rentals are divided in categories -- pre-war? condo? co-op?, etc. All I know about co-op is they were immediately ruled out.  I'm told NYC real estate is different than any other place in the world.  I will have take that on faith but I can say it was unlike anything I had experienced.  It was easier to build our house in Texas than rent this condo.  "The term 'pre-war' refers to the Second World War. These high rise buildings were built after 1900 and before 1940. They are usually between 10 and 20 stories high. During these years unemployment was very high and construction workers tried to make their jobs last. That had the effect that pre-war buildings are built in a very sturdy fashion! The apartments are quiet and most have - for NY standards - ample space. Some have doormen and used to have elevator men."

My pre-war building is called Parc Vendome.  It is a cluster of 4 buildings, 2 on 56th and 2 of 57th surrounding a private atrium.  There are also two public areas, one on 9th Ave and another on the east side of the buildings.

It not only looks like a private atrium, by MY private atrium -- there are never many people in the building unlike every other part of NYC. But there are no vacancies either, at least for very long.  I saw my APT at noon, put offer in while viewing it (my broker was good).  It had 2 more offers by 3pm.  I signed paperwork the next morning. 

 





These next 2 are for Tim DeWitt -- I call them Deco by Day, and

Deco by Night :)   She is in one of the public gardens.

4 comments:

  1. I came across this through Tiffany's blog. I love it! Looks like you are enjoying the NY adventure! :) Can't wait to read what exciting thing you come across next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ursula! it is an adventure, I never know what I am going to come across. I think I might have heard 2 gun shots last night - felt like home.

      Delete
  2. OKAY I am coming soon! I am so jealous looking at these pics!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The atrium really is unbelievable when you consider it is right smack in middle of Manhattan. The apt is ready when u r!

      Delete